Thursday, July 6, 2017

How Do Your Words Taste?

Gracious words are like a honeycomb,
 sweetness to the soul and health to the body.
Proverbs 16:24 

The Bible is replete with instruction to us about the words we utter.  We know that words can be cruel and destructive or they can be kind, sweet and healing.  It is a great discipline to periodically read the scriptures that deal with our words.  The endeavor can be convicting!  But if our desire is to be an encouragement to others we will want to commit to memory some of the verses that deal with the fruit of our mouths.  


Ensuring that our words are sweet, encouraging and uplifting requires much discipline and most of us fall short.  We often resort to using our tongue as a weapon rather than as an instrument of peace.  


We might be tempted to use harsh, controlling or intimidating words to get our way or to convince others that our way is right.  But notice the verse just above our focus verse.  

The wise of heart is called discerning,
and sweetness of speech increased persuasiveness.  
Proverbs 16:23

We can be more persuasive with sweet words...with words that win friends and followers rather than make enemies.  Our words are powerful and scripture says we will be accountable for everything we say.  It just takes a little awareness and discipline...a control over our thoughts and our words to please God and bring healing to others. 


It's a great challenge to make every word that comes from our mouth SWEET!



1 comment:

  1. Boy did this hit home for me. I lost my temper almost a year and a half ago with my SIL and she and my brother haven't spoken to me since. I've apologized in multiple ways and I feel I am right with the Lord, but it still hurts and I wish I could take it all back.

    ReplyDelete